Sunday 25 March 2012

Mason and Me - Life with a Teacup Dragon (2)

I've been receiving a lot of questions about this on FB so I thought I'd post this a little early.

Feeding

He's a messy eater!
Hand feeding an orphaned Dragon actually isn't as difficult as one might assume. The basic feed is liquid puppy food but with a tablespoon of CaJohns Select Red Savina Habanero Puree added.
Puree
Yes, I know how awful it sounds to give an infant Habanero peppers, and I confess he coughed and spluttered a little, but their mothers milk is hot, see, because the lining of the throat and oesophagus must be toughened up. Otherwise, the first time he coughs in the middle of a flame, he'll get serious burns!
And it really is amazing how quickly Mason got used to it. He coughed a little the first time, sneezed the second but he's been fine ever since.
Liquid puppy food
And it keeps the dogs away from his food, just a sniff was enough for them to turn tail and run!
Mason is smoking regularly now, and while I have yet to see the spark that signifies that he's about to flame, I'm sure it will be any day now.
I really enjoy feeding him, though I confess, the nighttime feeds were getting to me. He goes through the night now, thankfully. 
Farley's Rusks
He gets through about three 10ml syringes at a time now and he gets this really content look in his eyes when he feeds; it's our bonding time! When he's done, he usually wants to sleep, so he settles down with the dogs for a nap!

When it's time to wean him, he'll have Farley's Rusks, soaked in the liquid food to soften them first, then baby food.

When fully grown, Whiptailed Green dragons are omnivores so should have a varied diet that includes meat, carbohydrates and fibre. I'm told that their favourite treat is waffles or pancakes with maple syrup.

Do you have a teacup dragon? Share your stories with me, I'm kind of feeling alone here.  

Follow Mason's facebook page for regular updates.

Intro

No comments:

Post a Comment