Friday, 18 January 2013

‘The Next Big Thing’ blog hop



I've been tagged by JT Brown to participate in "The Next Big Thing". Thanks JT! Please checkout her blog and her answers.
I have a WIP cover too!

The premise is, you answer 10 questions about your latest WIP, then tag 5 other authors and ask them to do the same.

I have 2 WIPs on the go right now, one is finished and being edited, the other only had 10,000 words, so I'll answer based on the one I'm editing.

What is the working title of your book?
The Reluctant Duchess (is subject to change)

Where did the idea come from for your book?
Reading other period romances.

What genre does your book fall under?
Regency Romance

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

That's a tricky one.

Annabelle: I guess my dream actresses wold be Carey Mulligan or Emma Watson. Both are fabulous actresses, both have a vulnerability to their looks but can still portray strong characters, and both are chameleons, so they could believably portray any character, regardless of how similar they look in "real life". They both also have the kind of ethereal beauty that I imagine for Annabelle.




Richard could be Rodrigo Santoro. Richard isnt Brzilian but he does have the right look (which he wears well) though he may look a little young to play Richard.


What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Lady Annabelle Wyatt has never known true love and as sole provider for her family since she was 16, doesn't think she's likely to, that is until a certain Duke catches her eye and quickly turns her life upside down.


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
 Self-published.

How long did it take to write the first draft of your book?
About 6 weeks. I'm half way through editing now.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I really wouldn't like to. You'll see why in the next paragraph.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
While reading other period romances, I soon got sick and tired of men hauling women around, yelling at them, kidnapping them, sleeping around (while the women have to be virginal). Call it hubris if you want, but I thought "I can do better that that". I just don't like double standards, so my male lead pays for his womanising. Not to mention that when a man pulls a woman around, grabs her, shakes her, throws her over his shoulder, ties her up and 101 other things that I am supposed to find masterful and sexy, I am completely turned off. Real men don't need to manhandle weaker people in order to feel like men, even regency men. 

I'll leave it up to my readers to decide if I was successful in creating a respectful regency gentleman, and if the regency genre can survive without the "rakes" and manhandling.

What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
One plot point in the books if the burning of the British Houses of Parliament (AKA Westminster palace), in 1834. While researching the time period I just became fascinated with the old Palace; how it looked, how it was used, when it was added to and of course, how it burned down. It really isn't a huge plot point but I will be posting a blog or two about the old palace, going into more depth, which I hope will add depth for readers, without bogging the book down with unrelated facts.

Blogs I'm tagging:


Questions for the tagged:



What is the working title of your book?

Where did the idea come from for your book?

What genre does your book fall under?

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

At this stage, I will be self-publishing.

How long did it take to write the first draft of your book?

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?

Blogs I'm tagging:

1 comment:

  1. Your new book sounds fantastic!!!! Great luck to you and thank you for playing the blog hop. :) Take Care!!!
    J.T.

    ReplyDelete